Saturday, June 18, 2011

The New Paradigm in Education/Learning: Mobile Devices

It shouldn’t come as a surprise that mobile devices are becoming a new paradigm in education. With their ever-increasing functionality and ability to deliver content, academic or professional, virtually instantly, it was inevitable that they would soon make their way into the classroom. Today, more and more people are accessing content ranging from news and weather updates to training and academic materials by way of mobile devices. This is no longer an assumption or estimate, but a well documented fact. The Pew Internet & American Life Project reports that “nearly half of all American adults (47%) report that they get at least some local news and information on their cell phone or tablet computer.”

On a personal level, I own a smartphone and a laptop, and it truly makes me feel like I can be productive anytime, anywhere. With my smartphone for work (provided by my employer), I can answer e-mails regardless of whether I am in front of my desktop computer in the office or walking into a meeting. I can research relevant news/issues/developments on the web, and I can check-in with co-workers in the office. Specifically on mobile photos and video, my smartphone is greatly useful for my job, as it allows me to post photos and videos of events that I’m attending (in real-time) on to Facebook and other social media sites. This type of “mobile documentation” helps me keep my boss (a local School Board Member) and his constituents updated on school district happenings across the city.

My mobile devices have become quite a valuable tool for me, not just on a professional level but overall in my day-to-day activities and interactions outside of work. I love the flexibility and versatility they provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment